Thursday, August 20, 2009

No chemo Aug. 18

My handsome husband! This is how good and relaxed Vernon looked on Tuesday before we left the house for what we thought was his final chemotherapy treatment. He had just shaved and I think this color looks good on him. Guess who selected it for him to wear! The circular patch on it says "JAGM" for Joint Air to Ground Missile, one of the Lockheed Martin systems he helped develop during his 22 years with the company.

Now he's comfortably seated in one of the treatment rooms at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. The IV is in his left wrist, he's checking email or ebay and his sandwich (in foreground) is ready when he's ready to eat.

He's ready now - tuna salad on wheat with romaine and cucumber added. Patients and their companions are offered box lunches and beverages free of charge while receiving chemo. Vernon usually chooses tuna salad. I added to his sandwich some romaine and cucumber plus hot sauce I brought from home. If a vegetarian sandwich is leftover after everyone has been served, several times he has added those vegetables to his sandwich. Being more particular, I bring from home what I want to eat.

No chemo was given because his white blood cell count was too low plus he was low on magnesium. The trip wasn't a waste, however, because he was given magnesium via IV plus a neupogen shot while we were there. Here he's napping while receiving the magnesium. He received another neupogen shot on Wednesday and as I write this on Thursday, his white blood cell count is 5.1, so he's recovered and is above the preferred minimum of 4.1.
We have an Aug. 25 appointment for the final chemo treatment.

No comments: